Monday, August 23, 2010

What we've done: August 23, 2010

- In his review of Last Play at Shea, Simon Abrams called Billy Joel out at the plate.

- Dennis Cozzalio celebrated the cheeseball carnage of Piranha 3D.

- Daniel Getahun spotlights the documentary La Sierra.

- Scott Von Doviak bemoaned the decline of Austin’s Dobie Theatre.

Finally, earlier today Mike D’Angelo posted a Scenic Routes column on Sita Sings the Blues, in which he submitted that movie clips are far more effective at selling a movie than an old-school trailer. Case in point: this spot for Jim, which Craig Kennedy posted on his blog. Instead of reverting to the usual montage and voiceover routine, this teaser takes the form of a commercial for a company that presumably factors in the film’s story. Whether or not this spot ends up in the final movie, I think it does a fine job of laying down the groundwork for the film- which, admittedly, I haven’t seen- without spoiling any of the actual plot. I have no idea whether Jim will be any good, but now it’s on my radar. Anyway, here’s the spot:

No comments:

Post a Comment