Third place:
The Social Network (director of photography: Jeff Cronenweth) [75 points / 13 votes]
Second place:
Shutter Island (director of photography: Robert Richardson) [95/15]
And your winner...
True Grit (director of photography: Roger Deakins) [103/15]
To photograph 'their' version of Charles Portis' novel, The Brothers once again reunited with British cinematographer Roger Deakins. He's been working with them for two decades now, and I presume they keep inviting him back because (a.) they get along together and (b.) the guy's really good. Deakins is no slouch at the "Western look" either: he worked on Andrew Dominik's The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (shot in Canada) which, though few seemed to think was a great film, none would argue that it wasn't damn fine-looking. Though the Coens are more snarky than meditative and more verbal than scenic, Deakins' images hold their own.
In this age of video streaming and home theatres, I'm not the biggest advocate of 'having' to see movies on the big screen (heresy to some, I know), but I am grateful I was able to catch this one in a theatre. More than once I muttered to my viewing companion, "That shot is beautiful," which is rare for me, as I'm generally less interested in a movie's terrain or color scheme and more in its script and performances. The landscape of the American South-Southwest (the picture was shot in Texas and New Mexico) is treated lovingly and both the dry, desert scenes and snowy, rocky settings are equally evocative (who can forget the chilly weirdness of the Bear Man scene?). Hell, Ford himself might have hired the Deak to record some of his pictures in the Golden Age of Westerns ... but he'd have probably told this 'camera guy' to hurry up and 'stop making it so goddamn fancy'..." - Matthew Lotti
See the full results.
No comments:
Post a Comment